Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My Xbox 360 is weeaboo as fuck (and I love it)

Call of Duty, Gears of War, teh Haloz...

Xbox is somewhat synonymous with titles like these. The Xbox Live bro gamer crowd.

uguuuu~~

My Xbox has a Deathsmiles faceplate and is packed with radical Japanese games.

Boxed
  • Bayonetta
  • Raiden Fighters Aces
  • Raiden IV
  • Deathsmiles
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Child of Eden
  • Blue Dragon
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Deadly Premonition
Yuri and company from Vesperia
Digital
  • Afterburner Climax
  • Outrun Online Arcade
  • Daytona USA
  • Rez HD
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Ikaruga
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
  • King of Fighter 2002 UM
  • Neo Geo Battle Coliseum 
  • Guwange
Virtual On's Temjin

Perhaps things aren't as sunny on this front as they were in the days of MS trying woo over Japanese devs with fat checks, but as it remains I'll always want a functioning Xbox 360 console to play things like the superior version of Bayonetta. I think the PS3 version is garbage and feel you haven't really played the game if that's your only exposure. Sad, but true. 

"Don't fuck with a witch." - Bayonetta

For whatever reason the 360 was the console of choice for shmups developer CAVE so if you pick up the region free copies of their games you have access to a good bit of their bullet-hell history. Thanks mostly to CAVE and Sega the 360 has quite a few arcade perfect ports of games that you can't really play any other way. Of course you'll find all of the multiplatform current generation fighting games like KOF XIII, Blazblue and Street Fighter IV as well as some download exclusives like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and a few older King of Fighters games. The poor netcode in those titles still breaks my heart.

Blue skies in After Burner Climax


Oh, and it's not Japanese as far as I know, but where else are you going to play Rocket Girl?!




Even if my console eventually red-rings or whatever I'll be picking up a replacement console because there's a few games here that I just can't do without. I'm glad Microsoft got Japanese devs to publish their games on the 360, but at the same time I wonder if they would have just all been neatly consolidated on the PS3? Hmm...


2 comments:

  1. I had no idea some of CAVE's games were region free! It's a shame that even now that I've embraced MAME I can't play a lot of their newer ones because they aren't supported yet. At various points before I pulled out of arcade collecting I had all of the CAVE hits--Guwange, Progear, ESPrade, Dangun Feveron...never at the same time though, since I generally had to sell games to afford more, haha. At least I still have Boogie Wings floating around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you sending me a list of boards you were selling including Boogie Wings! I checked it out on MAME and it seemed like a great game. Kind of rare too, right?

    ReplyDelete